This summer will be our last in Zürich. Hopefully, our last in any city. Summer and cities do not a great pair make for me. I’m not a fan of the hot hustle and bustle but instead prefer the calm of a countryside back garden. But not wanting to let the next couple of months go to waste, I intend to get good summer.
So how am I going to do that?
1. I want to take CK swimming in the lake. After a few more trips to the baths with Paul, I’m hoping that he’ll be confident and comfortable enough to take a dip in one of Zürich’s badis (the open-air swimming baths dotted along the lake). Providing it’s not too busy and providing we’ve had a couple of weeks of sun to warm up the water, I think he’ll love it.
2. To go on such an outing, I’ll obviously need a kick ass swimsuit. My pre-pregnancy body was often shoehorned in to bikinis but after two huge babies, I refuse to inflict my wobbly tummy on an unsuspecting public. Therefore, I am on the search for a super sleek, tummy-sucking-in swimming costume. If I find one, I’ll consider this summer to be a fantastic success.
3. I want to go on a fancy-pants picnic. Not just a few pre-packed sandwiches, a packet of crisps and a can of pop. Think deliciously full, handmade sandwiches, a selection of cold meets and cheeses, cloudy lemonade in glass bottles. A proper picnic. One with a blanket rather than a park bench. Suggestions of what we could eat or drink are most welcome.
4. Photographs. I want to take better photographs. I’d really like to spend some time getting to grips with my new DSLR camera. I want to read the instruction manual and start to try out all the different settings. I’m determined to capture my boys’ childhood on more than my iPhone.
5. Becoming a better, or more varied, cook is something I’d like to focus on this summer too. I can churn out average family meals that see us through the week but none are particularly great and I often get stuck in a recipe-rut. I plan on getting all my recipe books out and picking some new meals to attempt. Maybe a catalogue of all the things we like would help so I don’t end up cooking the same thing day in, day out.
Those are the five things that I’ll be focusing on to get good summer. What would make your summer? Is there anything that you’ve always wanted to do? Or maybe something that’s been in the back of your mind but you simply haven’t found the time for it yet? Why not join in? You can read more about get good summer and how it started at Clarina’s Contemplations.